Tuesday, October 21, 2008

When did I become my mother?


I guess I've noticed it over the past few years that yes indeed we DO become like our Mothers. I think it actually has crept up on me slowly, and despite trying to fight it, I think this is the first time that I've actually acknowledged it out loud and realized that it's not ALL a bad thing.


I realize now that her happy demeanour that I always thought was a facade really wasn't a facade--she really WAS happy. She had realized that happiness is a reflection inward and that you can chose to be happy no matter what circumstances surround you. I think I finally understand that and can practice it.

I always thought she was a coward. I now realize that she was picking her battles carefully and with very conscious effort.
I never understood her anxiety and how she worried endlessly about our well being--and now I understand that feeling of total panic when you cannot find a loved one to be assured that they are safe.
I do find myself becoming more and more like her, which freaks me out a bit, but I'm at peace with it and no longer fighting it. I cannot think of a better person to be as I grow older. People admire, respect, and genuinely like her. I can only hope people think that of me, or will...


1 comment:

Nancy Lewis said...

Yeah, my parents also become nicer & smarter as I get older :)